Translate

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

the ruling in the Colorado anti-gay baker ruling ain't a piece of cake - it's a red herring

The much-publicized story of the Denver baker ordered to serve same-sex couples by Administrative Law Judge Robert Spencer is the kind of news story that has "legs" - spider legs. At first blush to some it is a tale of a changing, more inclusive America embracing change. To others it is a perfect example of the moral decay of America.
I think it's a pile of - you know what. Hear me out now. I grew up as a hippie in Texas noticing signs that said, "No shirt, no shoes, no service," and "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." I did not then, or now, think those signs should be illegal. If I opened a business and a bunch of gun-toting Ted Nugget - types walked in I want the right to say, "Get out of my store. I will not serve you even if you remove your guns." Why? Because it's my fuckin' store and this is America. (Starbucks - you made the the wrong economic decision, not only the wrong moral one. My parents would have been disgusted!)
Now, if the story were about a pharmacy picking and choosing which prescriptions to fill it would be a different story, but this is just a damn cake. If it were a government-subsidized bakery, it would be a different story, but it's not.
Just begin a boycott against that bakery. I'd join in. Many people gay and straight would happily boycott the Masterpiece Cakeshop. I bet other bakeries would jump up to say, We will serve your needs without judgement. We don't need laws about goddamn cakes!
This is the type of ruling that so easily plays into the hands of Fox News and Sarah Palin, et al, I truly wonder if it's not cooked up by Republicans. It will be a gift that keeps on giving. It quite likely is a ruling that follows logically from law, but it can be used by canny Republicans! I can't say whether or not this judge deliberately served up a red herring, I'm saying it's distressing that some "liberals"  are going to cheer such a petty example of gay "rights" yet which runs so much counter to the American tradition of freedom.
Meanwhile in Kiev the Ukrainian people are massed against huge and dangerous powers of state - and winning. Would that we had flooded the streets against the U.S. Supreme Court Bush v Gore decision, but no we rolled over. We want our cake and we'll eat it, too, even if we choke on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment