Translate

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Joe Hill's Last Will

I first heard Joe Hill's Last Will sung in a pub in Dublin. That musician (can't remember his name, sorry) sang it to some melody of his own, I think. I put the words to the tune of Sweet Hour of Prayer. Unlike the songs whose words I tinkered with, there is no excuse to tinker with a last will and testament. Ain't it funny how Christian in nature this "dangerous communist's" last will is?
This is my 4th installment of album notes for my new album. The others precede this blog and more will follow.

Sweet Hour of Prayer 
         
Sweet hour of prayer, Sweet hour of prayer      
That calls me from a world of care
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known

In Seasons of distress and grief
My soul has often found relief
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare
By thy return sweet hour of prayer

Joe Hill’s Last Will (Nov. 18, 1915, Salt Lake City)
My will is easy to decide,
For there is nothing to divide,
My kin don’t need to fuss and moan –
“Moss does not cling to a rolling stone.”
My body? Ah, if I could choose,
I would to ashes it reduce,
And let the merry breezes blow
My dust to where some flowers grow.
Perhaps some fading flower then
Would come to life and bloom again.
This is my last and final will,
Good luck to all of you,

- Joe Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment