Translate

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Horses Ain't Hungry

I wrote a new verse for this song (public domain). I took a Zen saying, "Eat when hungry, sleep when tired" and wrote it into an American folk song. Fun! Pete Seeger encouraged singing. He said you make a song your own by singing it and he did not frown on lyric or melody changes.
For three years in a row I recorded at the Woodshed Studios of the Cheatham Street Warehouse in San Marcos, Texas. This year I couldn't go that far and that meant I wouldn't be working with all those good people: engineer Russell Tanner, bassist Sterling Finlay, and guitar great Big John Mills.
Luckily, I found Elephonics Recording Studio in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Jesse Korman is a master engineer with a beautiful and affordable studio. He knew the local go-to upright bassist Jared Putnam and the lowly me-myself-and-I set out to add a touch of guitar solos to the songs I'd most thought of for a Big John solo - songs with a western flair. This is one; Jesse James is another.  I play with no picks, but sort of hold my index finger like a pick for individual strings and continue brushing the rhythm with my other fingers.
About a month ago I started a list of countries wherein at least one person had landed on my blog: US, Germany, Brazil, France, UK, Greece, Peru, Romania, Venezuela, Ukraine, Poland, Hong Kong, China, Dominican Republic, Taiwan, Turkey, Norway, Australia, and Switzerland!
I'd like you to know where my music can be listened to for free or downloaded: Pandora, Jango, and
Apple iTunes
Rhapsody
Inprodicon
Xbox Music
Spotify
24-7
Omnifone
Rumblefish
Rdio
Muve Music
Bloom.fm
Slacker Radio
MediaNet
Amazon MP3
WiMP
Last.fm
MySpace Music
Simfy
Google Music Store
iHeartRadio
Shazam
Yandex
GreatIndieMusic
Samsung Music Hub

No comments:

Post a Comment